Accounting & Bookkeeping & Small Business Forum

Accounting, Bookkeeping, Marketing, and Small Business Resource
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: TaxAct Or Turbo Tax?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:00 pm 
Which tax software would be the best of the two? I want to provide the best for my clients.

Post subject: Re: TaxAct Vs. Turbo Tax
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:00 pm 
Turbo Tax is excellent and easy to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:00 pm 
Turbo Tax is a great software, but I'm not sure it's licensed for professional use. I've heard (though I've not confirmed) that there is a five-return limit with each software license you purchase too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:00 pm 
Turbo Tax is not licensed for professional preparers -- Intuit offers Pro Series, or Lacerte as a professional preparer series.

Turbo Tax does have a professional series for the paid preparer. Also - any of the Turbo Tax products allows you to do as many returns as needed- even the Turbo Tax Basic for individuals. It is a good product.

Ken mentioned that Turbo Tax is not licensed for professional preparers. Exactly what does this mean? Does it mean a freelancer is not allowed to use it to prepare a client's return? Thanks Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:37 pm 
Turbo Tax is great, but you can only submit five returns for electronic filing and it cost per submission. It is not for use for professional tax purposes, but more for like someone who is helping out a few family and friends or several people going in together to share the software instead of buying it separately. There are a lot of professional tax prep programs out there. It would be a good idea to do a little research for support and pricing.
Tina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:21 pm 
Of the two, I have only used Turbo Tax. TT is great! It is simple, logical and easy to master. If you know what you are doing, you can go directly to the forms and skip the "interview" type questions. I am a professional tax preparer during the season. There is no limit to the number of returns you can prepare with TT. However, there is a limit of "free" electronic filings, in excess of that limit, there is a fee.

All tax software products must comply with IRS regulations. There is no such thing as "non-professional" tax preparation software. The word "professional" simply means paid for services rendered! You could do taxes longhand with the hard copies and a pencil and calculator and be a professional.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:24 pm 
you go girl!

Post subject: RE: TaxAct Or Turbo Tax?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:00 pm 
Reginald turbotax is easy to use but it is not for accountants and tax preparers. Technically you are violating the agreement that you agreed to but probaly did not read ( nobody does ) at set-up. The turbo tax police will not come take you away however, since it is not a professional program your company information does not print at the bottom. At the bottom of the return the words "self prepared" is printed which is supposed to mean the client prepared the return himself. This can make you look dishonest and unprofessional. Also by law if you were paid to prepare a income tax return you must sign it. In order to sign the turbo tax returns you must cover-up or cross out the words self-prepared which is tacky.
For these reasons Tax act is a better choice because it will print your company information at the bottom of every return thus keeping you in compliance and maintaining your professional appearance. You can also get a complete package to prepare federal and state returns for about $150. While the makers of turbotax make professional software (Proseries, and Lacerte ) They cost well over $1500 which is a steep expense if you are just starting out and only have a few clients.
I have used Taxact for three years if you have any questions about it feel free to call me at 610-626-1316

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:58 pm 
Is TaxAct (preparer's edition) capable of handling complicated returns? Most of the reviews I have read say that if a return is too complicated, then this is not the software for you.

I am just starting out and want to know which way to go. I don't want to spend a lot either.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:20 pm 
I have used TaxAct for the last 2 years and I think it is a great product. One thing you might try is do a search for tax software and order the demo versions to see which one is best for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:26 pm 
I have used both software and I personnally like taxact, it is easier to use, cost less than turbo tax. Also if you don't do alot of taxes and pay by the client e-filing is cheaper that turbo tax, for example, state and federal only cost 11.95 to e-file where turbo tax cost from 25 to 35 dollars per return. Also every year taxact has a special on their software. If you buy early it cost less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:32 am 

Turbo Tax is the best software.

Post subject: Re: TaxAct Or Turbo Tax?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:26 pm 
Senior Contributor

Anonymous wrote:
Which tax software would be the best of the two? I want to provide the best for my clients.

You have no choice .
Tax Act is the only one that is available for use by tax preparers legally.