Accounting & Bookkeeping & Small Business Forum

Accounting, Bookkeeping, Marketing, and Small Business Resource
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

What is your preferred Accounting Software for small business?
BusinessVision 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Simply Accounting 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Quickbooks 71%  71%  [ 25 ]
Peachtree 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
MS Small Office 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 35
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:11 pm 

I'm new to the forum so I will start by introducing myself.
Hello! My name is Angelique, I work as the Office Assistant for a Naturopathic Physician in British Columbia, Canada. Love where I live, love where I work :)

I'm sure you'll learn a lot more about me as I become more involved and I look forward to getting to know you folks too.

Let's go on to what brings me here.

I've been at this office for a year now and before becoming a member of the team (which is just me and the doctor) I had next to no experience in bookkeping and accounting software other than fiddling around with Quickbooks and Simply while taking an Administrative Assistant program. My employer has been using a DOS based accounting program (BusinessVision Turbo) for ages. Because of the costs to upgrade and because it has served her needs until now, she's kept it. With the Canadian Payments Association cheque formatting standards we realize that BusinessVision Turbo is non compliant and we have to make the choice as to whether we should upgrade to BusinessVision 7.2 LE or look into something else. I have come to learn that converting data from a DOS based program can be complicated, and I'm not even sure if it can be done at all should we opt for something like Quickbooks or Simply?

So I'm here seeking opinions and advice. We need something that will match or exceed what BusinessVision Turbo has done for us but not kill us financially. Upgrading BusinessVision is challenging since we have to have a Sage BusinessVision partner come in from out of town to set us up and convert. Labour for installation, conversion, and training is costly even if the promo price for the upgrade seems reasonable (it's about $350 for the software and $80-$100/hour for the tech work). We haven't been please with Sage's customer and technical support and other local businesses have reported the same issue. Here are our needs:

An accounting software program for small business that is reasonably priced.

It must have strong technical support that won't cost an arm and a leg should we run into problems down the road.

Ideally, we'd like to be able to convert our data from BV TURBO into the new program but will consider the alternative of starting with something fresh at year-end.

So for those of you with the wisdom and accounting software experience I'd like to please ask you this:

What accounting software option would you choose and why?

Thank you in advance for your help. It is extremely appreciated and admired. I'm sure I'll add to my enquiry later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:03 pm 

angelique, welcome!

you have to go with Quickbooks, there's really no reason not to. the only other option would be custom software since you are a doctor's office and you probably have the money for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 pm 

Welcome! In our Accounting firm we use a number of different software - dependent on the client and industry. We have found that Simply works best most of the time and with the clients that do most of the day to day bookkeeping themselves the opinion is split between Quickbooks and Simply. Either way support is good from the vendor - although our clients usually just call us when they have an issue! I think that is because they generally like knowing they get the same person every time. I know that most DR's offices use medical specific software it should be fairly easy to find something online or talk to other medical offices. Good luck finding something that works for your office - as far as I know there isn't an easy way to transfer data but at year end you would be able to take your account totals and input them into your new software fairly easily.

Amanda

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm 
Qualified Contributor

@asnider I agree with you and love to read your comment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 pm 

Im using
Quote:
http://numia.biz/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 pm 

Another vote for Quickbooks. It is easy to use and it was designed for individuals who might have a little accounting knowledge, but know how to balance a checkbook. Since you mentioned that you are new to bookkeeping, I would recommend quickbooks pro. It will give you everything that you need, and it will be less stressful than the other accounting software out there...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:14 pm 
Contributor

I prefer quickbooks also, but don't become complacent. Don't take it for granted. The software is easy to use, but is no substitute for basic accounting skills. Any accounting software or any other software will give you garbage, if you put in garbage. I've used quickbooks for close to 10 years and made a lot of mistakes early on that were because I did not know accounting, and what was worse, my accountant thought I DID know accounting. I have sinse beefed up my accounting skills. But still far and above, I do highly recommend quickbooks and a good bookkeeper or accountant to provide some oversight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:50 pm 

There are several different version of QuickBooks available depending on what your specific needs are. Your vendors, customers, items, and employees can be imported into QuickBooks for easy setup. You could start the new year with a new company file. You would just enter your ending balance from your 12/31/10 trial balance, enter any outstanding invoices and bills, any outstanding checks for your bank accounts, reconcile your bank accounts and you are ready to go with your new software.

There are training videos on the Intuit Website to help new users in using the features in QuickBooks and there are plenty of Certified ProAdvisors available to help.

Jo Ellen Peters
www.top-notch-bookkeeping.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:05 pm 

I would have to say QuickBooks also. Its just the preferred software for CPA firms and is pretty dominant in the industry. I had a client with the Microsoft accounting software and it was very screwy with different bugs. I dealt with it to please my client but he realized the inefficiencies and changed to Quickbooks short after the engagement.

Shaun, CPA
Long Beach Tax Services - Irvine Tax Services

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:13 pm 

I"ve tried and used and even taught others on Quicken, Quickbooks, Simply Accounting... my favorite is a simple Ledger style small business software program from http://www.moneyledgers.com , very simple to use, and does what I need it to do... I have no interest in the fancy & more complex features of the other programs.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:33 am 

I've found Peachtree to be very good software and you can get it pretty cheaply through geminicomputers.com

internet fax for business

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:51 pm 
Contributor

CA Tax. it is interesting to hear you say that QuickBooks is the preferred software of accountants. I know that it is the preferred software of about 85% of small businesses, but i actually had an and a CPA tell me that QuickBooks was not REAL accounting software. So I am afraid that I may have misconstrued this to be the opinion of most accountants and CPA's. I know a lot of bookkeepers and small business owners use it. And I use it and LOVE it, but as I cautioned earlier. It is not a substitute for a bookeeper or accountant. If you do not understand accounting, even QuickBooks can become no more than an electronic "shoebox". But it is at least a step in the right direction for non-accounting people. It's nothing that one-on-one training from an accountant couldn't remedy. OR, a non-accounting business could have an accountant on retainer to review monthly data entries and make end of the month and end of the year entries. Or, if you work with the right accountant, they could do the data entry review, and instead of making the corrections, use this as a time to give additional training to the client and have them make their own corrections. If they want, teach them to make the end of the month and end of the year entries. But you would still need an accountant on retainer to check entries and to have monthly consultations for the purpose of understanding the financial statements, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:08 am 

christinawhite099 wrote:
Iam a big fan of quick books
=======
webdesign

I have been content with Quickbooks online, until last Friday when attempted to add a 2nd company. I went to MyAccounts and selected the option to add another company at a discount rate. When problems occurred the online support tech attempted to guide us through. In the process, they overwrote our original company files and now they can't tell us when exactly they will have the original company files restored! I am livid to say the least.

Also, the discount was a paultry few cents (for all the trouble). Be aware that if you add a second company, you could be in for a big nightmare!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 pm 

I would like to choose Simply Accounting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:40 pm 

Hey,

Here is another excel based accounting program that is completely free. If is very easy to learn and use.

http://www.profitworks.ca/easy-to-use-a ... g-software